Web Live News

Changing Chinese positions on Ladakh

Changing Chinese positions on Ladakh

Changing Chinese positions on Ladakh
September 12
14:40 2020

India never agreed to make concessions to its either Western or Eastern borders despite Chinese leaders exerting their pressure.

Although the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) under Commander-in-Chief Xi Jinping wants to expand the territorial map on the basis of Green Line defined by a 1959 map circulated by Prime Minister Chou En-Lai under leader Mao Zedong, the Chinese position on resolving the border issue with India has changed over the decades as per convenience of the ruler of Beijing.

After Mao Zedong changed the facts on ground by building the Lhasa-Kashgar highway (number 219) through Aksai Chin in 1956, Prime Minister Chou En-Lai in 1960 offered his Indian counterpart Jawaharlal Nehru to resolve the border on “as it is where it is principle.” This meant that China was recognizing Indian sovereignty over Arunachal Pradesh or North-East Frontier Agency as it was known then, while India would recognise Beijing’s claim to Aksai Chin south of Haji Langar pass. This was never accepted by India and was one of the most important reasons behind the Chinese aggression in 1962. Today, China is in adverse possession of more than 38,180 sq km of Indian land including 5180 sq km of Shaksgam valley gifted by Pakistan in 1963.

On February 14, 1979, then Vice Premier and later paramount leaders Deng Xiaoping met Foreign Minister (later Prime Minister) Atal Behari Vajpayee and offered a package deal for resolve the boundary issue. Deng said that Chinese were willing to make concessions on the eastern sector to India, while New Delhi should make similar concessions in the western sector. While the concessions were not specified, Deng said that the resolution of the border could be shelved to the next generation as long as both sides maintain a stable situation on the border. Deng reiterated this proposal in 1985 also.

The Chinese position again took a radical turn after the 1986 Somdorong Chu incident in north Arunachal Pradesh. In 1987, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Shuqing told his Indian counterpart Secretary (East) A P Venkateswaran in New Delhi that China was looking for concessions both on eastern and western sectors in order to solve the boundary issue. Deng was the leader of China and Chairman of the all powerful Central Military Commission.

Since then a plethora of agreements and protocols have been signed to maintain peace and tranquility on the 3488 km Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China. After the Special Representative dialogue was set up between India and China to resolve the boundary issue in 2005, 22 meetings have taken place between India’s National Security Advisor and Chinese State Councillor but the boundary issue has hardly moved towards resolution. China still calls Arunachal Pradesh South Tibet and India boundary in Ladakh claims all of Aksai Chin.

While there is hope that the present stand-off between PLA and Indian Army may result in at least exchanging of maps in western sector so that each side knows the other’s positions and claims, the Chinese belligerence and deliberate provocation from Depsang to Pangong Tso this year does not augur well for peace.

About Author

Admin

Admin

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

RSS Sports

  • Death of Gardner's son pinned to carbon monoxide - ESPN
    Death of Gardner's son pinned to carbon monoxide  ESPNAfter Brett Gardner Said His 14-Year-Old Son Died Amid “Several Other Family Members” Getting Sick On Vacation, It Has Been Reported That “High Levels Of Carbon Monoxide” Were Found In Their Hotel Room  YahooMiller Gardner’s toxicology results confirm his cause of death after Yankee great’s son, 14, died on […]
  • Shohei Ohtani hits walkoff HR on his bobblehead night as Dodgers become first defending champ to start 8-0 - Yahoo Sports
    Shohei Ohtani hits walkoff HR on his bobblehead night as Dodgers become first defending champ to start 8-0  Yahoo SportsOhtani's walk-off pushes Dodgers to historic 8-0  ESPNBehind Shohei Ohtani’s bobblehead walk-off, 'good vibe' Dodgers off to historic start  FOX Sports8 and Oh-tani! Shohei walks it off as Dodgers make history  MLB.comPlaschke: Who says the Dodgers can't go 162-0? Dramatic […]
  • Gophers women’s basketball team rolls against Belmont for WBIT title - Star Tribune
    Gophers women’s basketball team rolls against Belmont for WBIT title  Star TribuneMinnesota Golden Gophers win 2025 WBIT  NCAA.comMinnesota takes out Belmont in WBIT title game  ESPNBelmont Faces Minnesota in WBIT Championship Wednesday at Historic Hinkle Fieldhouse  Belmont BruinsGators Fall Short of WBIT Championship Appearance, Dropping to Minnesota in Semifinals  Florida Gators
  • Diamondbacks Sign Ketel Marte To Extension - MLB Trade Rumors
    Diamondbacks Sign Ketel Marte To Extension  MLB Trade RumorsAgent: D-backs, Marte reach $116.5M extension  ESPNKetel Marte, Diamondbacks reportedly agree to 6-year, $116 million contract extension  Yahoo SportsKetel Marte contract extension: Diamondbacks lock up star infielder through 2031 on $116.5M deal, per report  CBS SportsMarte, D-backs agree to $116.5M extension through 2031  MLB.com
  • Chicago White Sox lose series finale to the Minnesota Twins 6-1 after a 3-hour, 20-minute rain delay - Chicago Tribune
    Chicago White Sox lose series finale to the Minnesota Twins 6-1 after a 3-hour, 20-minute rain delay  Chicago Tribune'We needed that': Twins bust out for elusive win  MLB.comTwins 6-1 White Sox (Apr 2, 2025) Game Recap  ESPNWhite Sox game vs. Twins delayed by rain  NBC 5 ChicagoTwins bring an end to their 0-for-2025 beginning with one big inning against […]

Follow Us