Web Live News

SpaceX Hails ‘Revolution’ After Successful Used Falcon 9 Rocket Launch

SpaceX Hails ‘Revolution’ After Successful Used Falcon 9 Rocket Launch

SpaceX Hails ‘Revolution’ After Successful Used Falcon 9 Rocket Launch
March 31
11:45 2017

SpaceX chief Elon Musk hailed a “revolution in spaceflight” on Thursday after blasting off a used rocket for the first time, a feat that could dramatically lower the cost of space travel.

Experts cheered the launch and landing of the previously used booster as a “historic” moment for spaceflight, particularly private industry, as companies like SpaceX and its competitors scramble to make space exploration cheaper and more efficient.

The slightly scuffed Falcon 9 rocket soared into the sky over Cape Canaveral, Florida at 6:27pm (3:57am IST), on a mission to send a communications satellite for Luxembourg-based company SES into a distant orbit.

Its tall, columnar portion known as the first stage, or booster, had already propelled the unmanned Dragon cargo ship to space in April 2016.

About 10 minutes after launch, screams and applause erupted at SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California as the re-used rocket powered its engines and landed upright on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean marked with the words “Of Course I Still Love You.”

The landing marked the ninth successful touchdown of a first stage rocket for SpaceX – six on ocean platforms, or drone ships, and three on land.

It also marked the first time a single rocket booster had ever been launched – and landed – twice.

SpaceX, the California-based company headed by visionary entrepreneur Musk, has for 15 years been honing the technology of powering its boosters back to careful Earth landings on solid ground and in the water.

The goal of the entire effort, Musk has said, is to make rocket parts just as reusable as cars, planes or bicycles.

He said it is also a crucial part of his plan to one day establish human colonies on Mars.

“It is an amazing day, I think, for space (and) as whole for the space industry,” Musk said in a video message after the launch.

“It means you can fly and refly an orbital class booster which is the most expensive part of the rocket,” he added.

“This is going to be ultimately a huge revolution in spaceflight.”

Currently, millions of dollars’ worth of rocket parts are jettisoned after each launch.

SpaceX officials have said that reusing hardware could slash costs – with each Falcon 9 launch costing over $61 million – by about 30 percent.

While the exact life of the re-used boosters is uncertain, Musk said they could be redeployed anywhere from 10 to 100 or even 1,000 times, depending on how much refurbishment is needed.

SpaceX competitor Blue Origin, run by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, has also successfully landed its New Shepard booster after launch, by powering its engines to guide it down for a controlled, upright landing.

‘Flight-proven’
Praise and congratulations for SpaceX poured in on Twitter.

“Congratulations on another historic launch,” the US space agency NASA wrote on Twitter.

“Congrats, SpaceX,” said the Defense Advances Research Projects agency (DARPA).

“DARPA facilitated the first SpaceX launch, and now commercial space is coming into its own.”

As for the cost of Thursday’s launch, Martin Halliwell, chief technology officer at SES, has declined to say publicly the exact amount.

However, he dismissed “naysayers” this week and stressed the historic nature of the launch on what he has described as a “flight-proven” rocket.

“People said we were taking a huge risk. I always said, ‘We’re not.'” he told reporters after Thursday’s launch.

“We had access to information that gave us confidence,” he said, adding he was “hugely excited” that SpaceX was opening “the door to a whole new era of spaceflight.”

Musk said the booster that flew Thursday underwent extensive refurbishment prior to launching again, and that it will be donated to NASA to put on display at Cape Canaveral.

The SES-10 satellite was sent to a geostationary transfer orbit, flying as high as 22,000 miles (35,000 kilometers) above Earth.

The satellite aims to expand television, internet and mobile connections across Latin America.

SES confirmed that the launch had successfully deployed its satellite, and congratulated SpaceX on sticking the landing of the rocket.

About Author

Admin

Admin

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

RSS Sports

  • Twelve Mets prospects to watch early in the minor-league season - The New York Times
    Twelve Mets prospects to watch early in the minor-league season  The New York TimesHere's where Mets' top prospects will open the 2025 season  MLB.comWhere Mets’ Top 30 Prospects Will Start 2025 Season  Metsmerized Online3 top NY Mets prospects who’ll be MLB studs, 2 who’ll be good in a lesser role  Rising AppleSyracuse Mets to feature some of New York's […]
  • Lamar Jackson sparks legal battle with Dale Earnhardt Jr. over No. 8 - NBC Sports
    Lamar Jackson sparks legal battle with Dale Earnhardt Jr. over No. 8  NBC SportsLamar Jackson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. locked in trademark battle over the number 8  Yahoo SportsLamar Jackson Takes Legal Action Against NASCAR Legend Over Trademark of No. 8  Sports IllustratedDale Earnhardt Jr. faces legal opposition from NFL player in trademark dispute  Motorsport.comLamar Jackson challenges Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s […]
  • Ja Morant breaks out finger guns again after reportedly receiving warning from NBA, then hits buzzer-beater - Yahoo Sports
    Ja Morant breaks out finger guns again after reportedly receiving warning from NBA, then hits buzzer-beater  Yahoo SportsMorant uses finger-gun gesture despite warning  ESPNJa Morant again uses finger-gun gesture despite earlier warning from NBA  USA TodayGrizzlies’ Ja Morant repeats gun gesture despite NBA warning  The GuardianJa Morant Breaks Silence After NBA Launches Investigation  Athlon Sports
  • What to Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - The New York Times
    What to Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning  The New York TimesDeath of Gardner's son pinned to carbon monoxide  ESPNMiller Gardner death due to carbon monoxide poisoning, officials announce  MLB.comFormer New York Yankees Player Brett Gardner's Son Miller's Official Cause of Death Revealed  People.comCarbon monoxide poisoning has been tied to several traveler deaths. Here’s how to stay safe on your […]
  • How Tsunoda and Verstappen's laps compare on eye-opening first day in Japan - Autosport
    How Tsunoda and Verstappen's laps compare on eye-opening first day in Japan  AutosportPRACTICE DEBRIEF: Who’s on top and who’s got work to do after a red flag-filled Friday in Suzuka?  Formula 1Doohan escapes injury after huge practice crash in Japan  RACERFour red flags stop practice as Piastri quickest  ESPNJapan F1 GP practice stopped four times but Tsunoda still delivers […]

Follow Us